Monday 5 April 2010

Sakura Inspiration

Following on from my last post, I wanted to share some of the inspiration behind my Sakura collection. Just before I started designing the Sakura necklace with it's simplified flower shape, I was seeing the cherry blossom motif all around me. Due to it's symbolism of good fortune, the Sakura flower is depicted in many forms in Japan.

On Textiles. (Printed and Woven)

Sakura flowers appear on many textiles in Japan and are especially prominent in the Spring. The Japanese are sensitive to the changing seasons and usually wear Kimono depicting images representing the time of year.

On a carved plate.

While in Japan I was impressed with the presentation of food. Every meal was served on beautiful crockery or carved plates and each piece appeared to have been chosen to complement the food.  Here is a carved wooden and lacquered plate which was used to serve wagashi (a Japanese confectionary). 


As a papercut on a card.

This is a card I liked due to the delicate papercut detail showing a cloud of sakura flowers over the geisha's head. I also liked the sakura design on her kimono.

On Drain covers in Tokyo.

While I was walking around the Asakusa district in Tokyo, I was surprised to see that the drain covers had been decorated with stylized sakura flowers.

The 100 yen coin.

The cherry blossom even appears on the 100 yen coin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment