Tuesday 20 September 2011

More Rings!

I have been working on a few more ring commissions recently and thought I would share them here. These are made using a different technique to the stacking rings as the stone is set into the band rather than sitting on top. This means a section of the ring has to be cut out and requires a bit more measuring and careful filing to make sure the setting fits snuggly and the ring stays the right size!

       

The first ring is set with a deep blue oval Sapphire. A lovely denim coloured stone that reminds me of a deep pool of water. 



The second has a large round labradorite gemstone. This particular stone covers most of the green spectrum with flashes of lime right through to forrest green depending on how the light catches it.


At first these designs were a bit of a challenge as I had only made one ring previous in this technique and was a little apprehensive about getting the sizing right. Needless to say, I had nothing to worry about as the rings fitted perfectly! Phew!


It was great to have the opportunity to build on my jewellery skills and I love any occasion to work with pretty gemstones - it must be my magpie tendencies!

No comments:

Post a Comment